Saturday, November 26, 2005

Bangkok, Round 4.

Bangkok felt strangely familiar, it’s my fourth time back in less than 4 months. Kao San Rd is the backpackers Mecca of Bangkok with pirated, CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, shoes, shorts, university degrees and ID cards all available. It’s weird that so much action goes on in this tiny pocket of the city. I really noticed how much smaller it all seemed, not being blown out by every smell, sound and sight, I was fairly comfortable wandering through the hustle and bustle, checking into my guest house and wandering down stairs for a beer.
I ended up have a few Sam Song and Sodas sitting in the street, with a few Thai guys, a Finish guy and Dutch chick that had been living here for years. It was good, not only since I couldn’t afford to drink in a bar, but they were an interesting crew. Nui, was from Chaing Mai, down in Bangkok selling clothes in a stall. And (I’ve forgotten his name and I feel stupid for doing that but it was Aran or something like that, from here on I’ll just call him Aaron) the Finish guy called Aaron, he lives in Edinburgh but goes home to Finland every so often and drives a reindeer sleigh at some tourist park.
The next day I awake with a fairly solid hangover and proceeded to sort out the police report for the lost mobile phone, then went back to Kao San Rd and had a pretty good chat with a bunch of Aussies who were straight off the plane. After a fair few beers I had hatched a plan (as I had told Julia I may not be able to make it to Bangkok in time) that they should head out to the airport with me. They stand there with a “Julia Goulia” sign and when they see her, tell her that they met me in Cambodia, I couldn’t make it as my bus was broken, but they had flown and said they would catch up with her for her stop over. Well I ended up losing them in Kao San rd. (I expect they wussed out and did a runner) but on the way to the taxi rank I saw Aaron (a much more solid choice) in the same spot in the street, and with in a minute he had agreed and we were on out way out to the airport.
We got out there about 15 minutes after the plane had landed, quickly checked the Bus and Taxi lines then proceeded to the info desk to find out where people from Julia’s flight would be entering the Terminal. We quickly grabbed some beers and Assumed The Position, Aaron by the stream of people clutching a section of beer a carton with Julia Goulia written on it with a permanent pen. I was outside keeping an eye on what he’s up to waiting for the confused meet-up, let him set the scene and mosey out side, cue me jumping out from behind a pillar, surprise and hilarity ensues. After asking heaps of people what flight they were on, and a few more beers well over an hour had passed. I expect our info booth experience miss guided us, and we were waiting at the wrong exit.  We jump back in a taxi and feeling quite unsuccessful return back to town.

No comments: