Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Chewawa’s Adventure

Well yesterday was fucking wicked. Chuiwawa ( got to find out how to spell that properly ) is Tutu ( the owner of the Ting Tong ) brother, he lives at the guest house and works at the bar. This morning after breakfast ( vegemite on toast and scrambled eggs ) he asks me and Francesca if we want to go on an adventure, no more info…. So I jump on my bike and follow them out of town ( a quick double back when he runs out of petrol ) a few little turns off the main road and its onto a fairly tight little dirt/gravel road. As with standard tradition the further off the beaten track you get the thinner the road becomes, the longer the grass in between the tracks and the bigger the puddles. It all starts off fairly smoothly Chuiwawa and Francesca on a very clapped out rusty old dirt bike and me on my little 125cc Honda scooter. After about 15 minutes the puddles start to stretch out and join one another they become pits of mud with huge trenches carved through them from who ever was game enough to take a 4wd up there. At stages a foot deep puddle stretches to 20 meters. I fell like the description really should be some what poetic and action packed. Sweat dripping from sun burnt skin, the sting of grass whipping against my feet, the burn of hitting a pool of hot muddy water, that sorta thing but I’m not poetic so I won’t try. But it was fucking exhilaratingly exciting, I managed 3 fucking river crossings and slipping and sliding though monster mud pits on the scooter. Chuiwawa and Francesca both manage to loose Thongs ( Flip-Flops) in the mud, and in the “ I’ve narrowed it down to a metre square patch where they have to be but still cant find them its so deep” sorta way. We ride for about a hour up this crazy track, until it peters out over a river then into about a foot wide path through a rice paddy, Chuiwawa’s response is, “We stop now, looking for waterfall, but now lost, you want shower in river then we go home” Seriously these guys are just like big kids, play all day then work and drink at their bar at night. The have such a wicked lifestyle. So any way we chill out in this river, I collect a few nice looking rocks and we make a mission back down the path.

All in all a very fun morning, the night before I had asked Tutu what cooking school he would recommend, he looks at me all stern for asking a stupid question, but excitingly says “whaaat, you don’t need cooking school, you see, the house has kitchen and look you look at me, I’m Thai I can cook Thai food I will teach you to cook great Thai food, tomorrow we go to the market and then we cook in our kitchen, what do you want to eat” it was a very cool moment. So in the evening, Tuk comes round to the guest house we make a mission down to the market and buy ingredients, I was pretty firm with the “ I’ll buy you teach” but he kept chipping in for bits and pieces, we cooked up a Green Curry with chicken, fried veggies with tofu and a big omelet. It was fucking great.

Jackie ( an Aussie ) and Finn ( a German ) who we had met last night at the bar rocked up as organized. We jumped back on our bikes and headed to a little nearby village for a Chinese full morn celebration, it was like a little school fete with kids doing badly choreographed dances and old dudes doing traditional stuff. It was nicely entertaining, in a lame sorta way. Followed by a drunken bar hopping night, Ting Tong, Bebop, Bamboo and then finished off at The Crazy Chicken. Fun and games my friends, fun and games.

Will Cowan

No comments: